Chemical peels can be done on the face, neck or hand and they can improve the skin’s appearance. A chemical solution is applied to the skin, which makes it “blister” and eventually peel off, usually leaving the skin smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
Chemical peels can be used to:
- Treat wrinkles caused by sun damage and aging
- Reduce the fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth
- Improve the appearance of mild scars
- Reduce age spots, freckles and dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills
- Treat certain types of acne
- Improve the look and feel of skin
Who Is a Good Candidate For a Chemical Peel?
Fair-skinned and light-haired patients are better candidates for chemical peels, but if you have darker skin, you may also have good results, depending upon the type of problem being treated. But, you may also be more likely to have an uneven skin tone after this procedure.